Eldritch Elixirs: Po Po's Celestial Chicken Broth
The Secret Ingredient of Shining Stars
In the bustling lanes of Shanghai, Po Po's eatery, "Shining Stars," was a haven for many. Her famed "Power Soup" was believed to possess healing magic. Made with Chicken, Goji berries, and Glehnia Root, it was a monthly delight.
One day, a young chef named Liang entered, curious about this soup's charm. With a single taste, he was enchanted. Under Po Po's guidance, he learned the recipe and, eager to impress, introduced ginger and lemongrass to the mix.
The result? A harmonious blend of tradition and innovation. The two chefs laughed, realizing that beyond ingredients, the real magic was love and dedication.
And so, in the heart of Shanghai, a soup was more than just a meal; it was a tale of legacy and creativity.
Preparation Time: 20 minutes
Cooking Time: 2.5 hours
- 2-3 pieces of Chicken, skin on
- 3 pieces of Glehnia Root (Glehnia littoralis)
- 8-10 Dried Chinese Red Dates (Ziziphus jujuba)
- ¾ cup of dried Goji berries
- 2 chicken stock cubes
- 1 tablespoon of ginger, thinly sliced
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, bruised
- 2 tablespoons of light soy sauce
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 green onions, finely chopped for garnish
- Optional: ½ cup of cooked jasmine rice per serving
- Begin by cleaning the Chicken pieces. Pat them dry with a paper towel.
- In a deep saucepan, heat a small amount of oil over high heat. Add the ginger slices and sauté until aromatic.
- Add the chicken pieces to the pan. Sear the chicken on all sides until it has a nice golden brown colour.
- Once the chicken is well-seared, pour in 2.5 litres of water. Add the Glehnia root, Chinese red dates, and goji berries.
- Crumble the stock cubes into the mixture. Add the bruised lemongrass stalk, light soy sauce, and a sprinkle of freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Once it starts boiling, reduce the heat to a low simmer. Cover the pot with a lid.
- Allow the soup to simmer gently for about 2 to 2.5 hours. Check occasionally and add more water if the level drops significantly.
- After simmering, remove the saucepan from heat. Using a sieve or colander, strain all the solid ingredients from the soup, collecting the broth in another pot or large bowl.
- Once strained, remove the meat from the chicken pieces. Discard the skin, bones, and cartilage. Shred the chicken meat and set aside.
- Return the strained broth to the saucepan. Add the shredded chicken meat to the soup and let it warm up over low heat.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning if necessary. If you prefer a saltier taste, you can add a splash more of soy sauce.
- Serve the soup hot, garnished with chopped green onions. If desired, add half a cup of cooked jasmine rice to each serving.
This revamped version of Po Po’s Power Soup incorporates additional flavours like ginger and lemongrass, providing a delightful aromatic twist to the classic recipe. Enjoy this nourishing and warming soup, perfect for chilly days or when in need of a healthful boost!