Inositol Powder: The Versatile Sugar Alcohol for Holistic Well-being
Inositol sometimes referred to as vitamin B8 (though not a true vitamin), is a naturally occurring sugar alcohol found in many foods but can also be synthesized in the human body. Its powder form is commonly used as a dietary supplement due to its myriad potential health benefits.
- Mood and Mental Health: Inositol plays a role in neurotransmitter signalling, and studies have shown its potential to support mental health by addressing symptoms related to anxiety, depression, and obsessive-compulsive disorder (OCD).
- PCOS and Fertility: Women with polycystic ovary syndrome (PCOS) may benefit from inositol, as it can help improve insulin sensitivity, hormone levels, and ovulatory function.
- Insulin Sensitivity: By influencing the insulin-signalling pathway, inositol may assist in managing insulin resistance, which can be beneficial for metabolic health.
- Neurological Function: Inositol aids in maintaining membrane fluidity and can support overall neurological function.
- Safety and Tolerance: Generally well-tolerated, inositol powder might cause mild gastrointestinal side effects in some individuals, especially at high doses.
The dosage for Inositol (often referred to as Myo-Inositol) can vary based on its intended use, the specific formulation, and individual factors. Here are some general dosage guidelines:
- Mental Health Support: For addressing mood disorders or symptoms of OCD: 12g to 18g daily, often divided into multiple doses.
- Polycystic Ovary Syndrome (PCOS) and Fertility: For improving symptoms related to PCOS: 2g to 4g daily.
- For fertility purposes: 2g to 4g daily, sometimes combined with other supplements. Insulin Sensitivity:
- For managing insulin resistance: 2g to 4g daily.
- General Supplementation: Those taking it for overall health or other reasons can range from 500mg to 2g daily.
- Safety and Tolerance: Inositol is generally well-tolerated, especially at lower doses. At higher doses (above 12g daily), some individuals might experience gastrointestinal discomfort, diarrhea, or nausea. It's often recommended to start with a lower dose and adjust based on individual tolerance and needs.
- Form and Timing: Inositol powder allows for easy dose adjustment and can be mixed with water, juice, or other beverages. It can be taken at any time of the day, though some people prefer taking it with meals to reduce potential stomach upset.
Inositol 3 g
- Inositol has not been extensively tested for its effects during pregnancy
- Avoid use during pregnancy or lactation unless confident that its impact can be reasonably deemed to be safe or beneficial
- Always read the label
- Dietary supplements should not replace a balanced diet
- If symptoms persist, worsen or change unexpectedly, consult your healthcare professional
Join our Wellness Circle Membership to enjoy 10% off plus FREE SHIPPING on all your orders.