Nov 09 , 2021
Best Food Supplements for Improved Joint Comfort and Mobility
In Australia, nearly 1 in 4 adults deal with joint discomfort at one time or another.
Because this is such a pervasive issue, supplements are intended to support healthy joints, such as promoting a healthy response to inflammation or by helping to maintain the integrity of cartilage. So supplements are worth the investment if you're looking to prolong your joints' health, comfort, and mobility? Below are several types to focus on and why.
Joint health is essential for people of all ages. However, the joints that tend to get the most attention often include the shoulders, knees, hips, wrists, and ankles for various reasons.
Interest in joint health support includes:
- Sustaining the overall joints
- Promoting healthy flexibility
- Maintaining a healthy range of motion
- Supporting joint comfort
- Promoting general healthy mobility
Here's where some of the best joint supplements, such as collagen protein, come in. They can generally help keep joints healthy by providing support for healthy inflammatory responses and supply nutrients such as amino acids, antioxidants and beta-glucans that help keep various connective tissues elastic and robust.
Herbs of Gold Collagen Gold is a delicious berry-flavoured powder that contains high-quality, premium collagen derived from fish combined with antioxidant-rich superfoods.
- Fish collagen
- 2500mg fish collagen
- Collagen formation support
- Collagen Gold contains 2500mg of high-quality, easily absorbed collagen peptides derived from type I fish collagen in each 6g serving.
- Collagen is the body's most abundant protein, representing approximately 30% of total body protein, and provides tensile strength and firmness to connective tissues, such as hair, skin, nails and joints.
- Collagen peptides are predominantly composed of hydroxyproline, proline and glycine - essential amino acids that play a vital role in the production and stability of collagen.
- Acai and Acerola berries and Guava leaf provide a natural vitamin C and zinc source, antioxidants contributing to cell protection from free radicals. Vitamin C is necessary for normal collagen formation for the normal function of the skin. At the same time, zinc contributes to maintaining normal hair, nails and skin structure when part of a healthy diet involving various foods.
- Collagen Gold is available in a berry-flavoured powder naturally sweetened with thaumatin.
Turmeric is brimming with beneficial compounds, including its most active ingredient called curcumin, which has been shown to support a healthy response to inflammation.
Curcumin is responsible for Turmeric's signature yellow/orange pigment, and it plays a role in supporting healthy joints because of its soothing properties. In addition, it's generally able to help.
- High potency formula providing 750mg curcuminoids per day for broad-spectrum anti-inflammatory activity
- Inhibits inflammation via numerous mechanisms
- May help relieve joint inflammation and pain (including symptoms of mild osteoarthritis of the knee)
- It also supports heart health and may help healthy people maintain healthy cholesterol and blood lipid levels.
- It contains a clinically trialled form of Turmeric called Curcumin C3 Complex® ( standardised for its medicinally active curcuminoids) plus piperine to enhance curcumin bioavailability.
- Up to 20 times more bioavailable than regular curcumin.
Fusion Health Turmeric, a super-concentrated and highly bioavailable source of curcumin. Tablets make it easier than ever to add Turmeric to your daily routine. These tablets are made with organic turmeric root extract and feature compounds found in black pepper, which help aid in the absorption of Turmeric. Typically adults should take one tablet daily with a glass of water or another beverage.
The combination of compounds found in Turmeric has also been shown to support muscle strength during periods of physical inactivity. For this reason, Turmeric can be used to aid muscle and exercise recovery.
Bone Broth Protein (BBP)
With BBP, you get the same benefits as traditionally slow-cooked bone broth, only in a much more convenient and versatile form.
Bone Broth Protein powder, especially chicken-based BBP, inherently features type 2 collagen and other joint-supporting compounds, including glucosamine, chondroitin and essential trace minerals. Each serving provides 20 grams of protein to support healthy joints, cartilage, skin and gut health, and more.
Just like with collagen powder, use 1–3 servings of BBP daily (depending on your dietary goals) in sweet and savoury recipes like smoothies, soups and baked goods. Always consult the label for suggested use and serving size.
A generous, non-concentrated serving of omega-3s for everyday support for the heart and brain in pure, great-tasting liquid and soft gels.*
- 690 mg total omega-3s (soft gels); 1560 mg total omega-3s (liquid)
- The perfect formula for those new to fish oil
- Promotes heart and brain health*
- Made from 100% wild-caught sardines and anchovies
- Fresh lemon taste
- Award winner! Vitamin Retailer's Vity Award & Best Selling Essential Fatty Acid Supplement
Aimed to provide the proper balance of omega-3s, along with antioxidant oils, Omegas 3 provides your body with the building blocks it needs.
Containing omega 3 fatty acids and astaxanthin brings whole-body benefits for healthy joints (along with cardiovascular health and healthy cognitive function).
ChondroPlex is a combination of GlucosaGreen® glucosamine and CS BioActive® chondroitin for joint health, along with OptiMSM®. This product provides clinically trialled doses of glucosamine and chondroitin to help relieve symptoms of mild knee osteoarthritis, including mild joint swelling, pain, reduced mobility, cartilage wear and narrowing joint space.
Glucosamine, a compound naturally found in bone broth/Bone Broth Protein powder, is used by the body to help form and support healthy joints. It plays a role in protein biosynthesis and is often taken in capsule form to help strengthen cartilage and assist in joint comfort.
While glucosamine itself can be a great addition to your wellness routine, taking it alone may not offer all the same benefits of BBP, which provides this compound in addition to several others that generally support healthy mobility.
Glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin sulphate may provide symptomatic relief of joint pain and functional limitation associated with mild osteoarthritis of the knee.
Glucosamine sulphate and chondroitin sulphate exert an anti-inflammatory effect and reduce joint swelling in mild osteoarthritis.
Glucosamine (sodium) sulphate (GlucosaGreen®) and chondroitin sulphate (CS Bioactive®) provide nutritional support for the maintenance of healthy joint mobility.
Glucosamine sulphate supports joint health and relieves symptoms of mild osteoarthritis.
Chondroitin sulphate helps enhance healthy joint function.
Best Foods for Joint Health
In addition to taking the joint supplements above, there are plenty of nutrient-rich foods you can add to your diet to support the health of your joints, tendons, cartilage and so on.
Eating a nutrient-dense diet that includes lots of antioxidants and "collagen boosting foods" helps support healthy collagen levels, which supports overall joint health and supports a healthy immune system and healthy inflammation response.
To keep your joints in tip-top shape, focus on fresh vegetables, fruits, herbs, spices and quality protein-rich foods and healthy fats.
Some of the best foods for healthy joints include:
- Bone broth (especially chicken bone broth, which is brimming with type 2 collagen)
- Foods high in antioxidants and vitamin C like leafy greens, citrus fruits, kiwi, broccoli and berries
- Foods high in protein like organ meats, grass-fed beef, wild-caught fish and pasture-raised chicken
- Garlic and onions, which are high in protective sulphur compounds
- Pumpkin, flax, chia and hemp seeds, as well as nuts
- Olive oil, avocado, coconut oil and ghee
- Herbs/ spices such as Turmeric, ginger, basil, parsley, etc.
OzHealth Arthritis Pain Relieving Cream is applied topically. It provides powerful temporary pain relief of Osteoarthritis Pain, Upper Back Pain, Lower Back Pain, Muscle Aches and Pain & Joint Pain and Inflammation
The information contained in this article is for educational and informational purposes only. It is not intended as health or medical advice. Vitamin and mineral supplements should not replace a balanced diet. Always consult a physician or other qualified health provider regarding any questions you may have about a medical condition or health objectives.